Minute-poached Salmon and Gorgonzola Rigatoni - Serves 2
Keep the Gorgonzola out of the fridge for 1 hour before introducing to the dish.A tip from
This is a fantastic dish and is quick to make, so it’s perfect for unexpected visitors like my daughter Christina and her band. If you don’t like salmon, this works equally well with another oily fish or chicken.
1. First, make the sauce. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan and gently cook the onion and shallots until translucent. Add the tomatoes, sugar and thyme, and simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced. Add the crushed garlic clove.
2. While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, to which about 1 tablespoon olive oil has been added, and add the pasta. Cook according to the directions on the packet until al dente.
3. Drain, retaining some cooking liquid to keep the pasta moist.
4. Add the cheese to the tomato sauce. Be careful not to cook the cheese, just warm it through. Flake the salmon into the sauce and season to taste.
5. Tip the tomato sauce into a large bowl and fold in the warm pasta, followed by the spinach and basil.
6. Pour the pasta and sauce mixture back into the pan, then stir in the cream and add the garlic clove to infuse with flavour.
7. Gently heat through and check the seasoning. Serve immediately.