Brandy Snap Baskets with Mixed Seasonal Fruits - Serves 4 - 6
The brandy snap mixture is pliable when it is warm and can be fashioned into any shape you choose; the classic way is to roll it up like cigars and then fill each one with cream. This recipe you mould the mixture into baskets in which you place a selection of soft fruits and top with Carte D’or Cherry Blossom ice cream.
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºFan/Gas 4.
2. Put the butter in a pan and melt gently. Reserve.
3. Put the sugar, flour and ginger into a food processor and begin to mix at a low speed. Gradually add the golden syrup, followed by the melted butter and continue to process until the butter is incorporated.
4. Divide the mixture into 4-6 rounds about 10cm apart on a non-stick baking tray. Flatten each round with the palm of your hand, to form 12 cm circles.
5. Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes, until golden.
6. Remove the tray from the oven and leave to cool for a moment until you can safely handle the brandy snaps. Press each one into a soup terrine or over-sized tea-cup and leave until cool and crisp. Carefully place on a serving dish.
7. Place soft fruits in a bowl, add kirsch and infuse for 10 minutes
8. Place the infused soft fruit into the brandy basket, top with scoops of Carte D’or Cherry Blossom Ice cream. Dust with icing sugar. Topped with fresh mint.