Bread and Butter Pudding - Serves 8
1. The night before: Make the stock syrup; put the unrefined caster sugar in a pan with 600ml water, stir to dissolve and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat. Pour half into a separate pan.
2. To one pan of stock syrup add the dried apricots. To the other add the raisins, sultanas and rum. Boil up each pan, and then remove from the heat, cover and leave to infuse overnight.
3. Preheat the oven 180ºC/160 ºC fan/Gas 4.
4. Heat 15g of the butter or spread in a pan and sweat the diced apple until just soft.
5. Add the Calvados and bubble up until the apple is very soft and reserve.
6. Spread the brioche or bread thinly on both sides with butter or spread, and fry in pan until golden. Cut them into cubes. Put into a bowl with the drained apricots, raisins, sultanas, apple, cinnamon and Demerara sugar.
7. Put the milk and halved vanilla pod into a pan and bring to the boil.
8. In another bowl, mix together the eggs, egg yolk and caster sugar until pale. Pour the milk slowly over the egg and sugar mixture, beating all the time until smooth. Put through a fine sieve and add to the bowl containing the brioche or bread and fruit. Stir to combine well.
9. Grease 8 Dariole moulds and divide the mixture between them.
10. Bake in a bain-marie in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
Turn the puddings out of their moulds and serve with scoops of Carte D’Or Chocolate Inspiration ice cream.