Cod Brandade Glazed with Red Peppers - Serves 2
This dish works equally well if you use salmon or haddock.A tip from
Use a tender fillet or loin of cod for this recipe. If the fish has the skin on, ask the fishmonger to skin it for you. When making the mashed potato, I use floury potatoes – ideal for mashing.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 4.
2. In a pestle and mortar, pound together the cod, basil, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and a dash of lemon juice until it forms a paste. Alternatively, blitz in a blender or food processor.
3. Turn into a bowl and add the hot mashed potatoes, cream, butter and nutmeg. Beat to combine and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan with a lid, and when very hot, add the red pepper, together with the bay leaf, thyme, seasoning and sugar.
5. Once the peppers have slightly browned, after 3–4 minutes, add the water to create steam. Cover immediately with a lid and put straight into the preheated oven for 2 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and fill each pepper half with the fish paste. Cover with a thin slice of cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
7. Return to the hot oven and bake for a further 12 minutes. Preheat the grill until hot.
8. Cut the baguette in half lengthways and toast under the preheated grill until golden brown.
9. Serve the peppers with the toasted baguette.
This recipe is taken from Jean-Christophe's 'Everyday Novelli' book.