Summer Pudding Baked Alaska - Serves 6
1. In a hot pan add fruit, touch of water and spices and on a very low heat simmer for about three minutes. Take off heat, cover and allow the flavours to infuse. Remove the star anise.
2. Remove the crusts from the bread, and lightly toast. If using sponge cut very thinly and toast in a hot pan.
3. Pour a little of the fruit puree in the base of the moulds, and line with the toasted bread or sponge (reserving a slice for the top).
4. Add the fruit mixture, put slice of toasted bread or sponge on the top of the fruit, and press down firmly. Put a plate and a weight on top of the puddings and leave overnight in the refrigerator. Put six scoops of Ice Cream in the fridge for 3 hours prior to serving.
5. To prepare meringue: Add salt to egg whites, whisk the egg whites stiffly, add 2-3 rounded teaspoons of the caster sugar and vanilla seeds and whisk again until stiff. Fold in the remaining sugar. Put into a piping bag.
6. Turn out the puddings onto a heat proof plate, add a scoop of Carte D’or Vanilla or Cherry Blossom ice cream on top of the puddings. Quickly pipe the meringue over the ice cream and cover the puddings completely. Dust well with caster sugar and flash under a hot grill until the meringue is lightly browned. Serve at once.