Aubergine Hummus - Serves 4
If you wish or if time is short, use canned, drained chickpeas. If you don’t have tahini, add another lemon.A tip from
This is an alternative to ordinary hummus. Made from aubergines, herbs and spices, it is delicious served warm with a crusty, rustic bread of your choice.
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Fan 160ºC/Gas 4.
2. Cut the aubergines in half. Dice 1 garlic clove and scatter over the aubergine. Sprinkle with the sugar and Cajun spice.
3. Lay the thyme on top and drizzle over 25ml of the olive oil.
4. Place on a baking tray, season, cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until soft.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh, discarding the skins. Blitz in a blender or food processor. Add the chickpeas, the remaining garlic, tahini, coriander, basil and lemon juice, and blitz together until smooth.
6. Gradually pour the remaining olive oil in through the funnel on to the rotating blades until it takes on the consistency of mayonnaise.You may not need all the oil.
7. Adjust the seasoning and chill until required.