Baked Vacherin Cheese with Iberico Ham - Serves 4-6
When marinating the cheese do this at room temperature to help the flavours be absorbed.A tip from
Here is an unusual marinated cheese recipe.Wrapped in Iberico ham and cooked to perfection, it is one of the most popular dishes at my gastropub ‘Touch of Novelli’ and also a favourite of my co-partners at The White Horse, Harry Nugent and Tony McFarland.
1. Unwrap the cheese but do not discard the wrapping. Turn it upside down and return to the box. Prick with a fork a few times and pour on the cognac or brandy. Spread with tapenade and place the thyme, rosemary and garlic on top, dust with paprika and season well.
2. Cover the cheese with its wrapping, replace the lid and leave to marinate for 12 hours in the fridge.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
4. Remove from the box. Place the basil leaves on top and wrap in the Iberico ham. Return to the box and freeze for 20 minutes.
5. Still in its box, place on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, heat the redcurrant jelly in a saucepan.When it has melted, add the lemon juice and pour into a serving dish.
7. Remove the cheese from the oven and unwrap. Serve hot with the warm redcurrant sauce on some warm crusty bread.